Sunday, October 13, 2013

 Today, I'm looking at The Third Best Hull, by Dennis Hull with Robert Thompson. (subtitled I should have been fourth, but they wouldn't let my sister Maxine play.)

This guy cracks me up! (there, I've said it.)

Bobby Hull, sure, we've all heard of the Golden Jet. Brett Hull, Bobby's son... we've all heard of the Golden Brett, and feared his slapshot. But what about Dennis Hull? What did I know about him? Before reading this book, I didn't know anything other than the family relationship; brother to Bobby, uncle to Brett.
Who knew that an auto-biography could be so much fun to read? The stories, the practical jokes, the general mayhem that Dennis Hull seemed to thrive on almost seems to be too much and too unbelievable, and yet, it's all true. As Bobby Hull's brother, sure, he was often compared to his better known sibling. But as his career moved along, Dennis became a star in his own right, developing quite a rivalry with Henri Richard, the “pocket-rocket.”

He speaks candidly about playing in the 1972 Super Series against the Russians. There are all sorts of stories and comments about his better-known brother Bobby. There are even a few tales about his nephew, former St. Louis Blues superstar Brett. In addition, Dennis talks about the controversial trade that sent Phil Esposito to Boston, and promptly made the Bruins a Stanley Cup contender.

He's even got a career as a public speaker, and apparently is in high demand. The stories, the laughs... he keeps the crowds in stitches year after year.

I'll admit, I didn't know much about Dennis Hull, other than the family relationship, before reading this book. Now, I think hockey could use another couple dozen characters like this. It's like opening the door to another world. Sure, there's the playing side of people that you hear about, but the off-ice personalities are sometimes the most fun to read about... that's what I liked best about this book.


Special thanks to Sara Dunn at ECW Press for making this book available for reviewing purposes.









No comments:

Post a Comment